That’s me somedays. Telling myself I’m rubbish. I’m not clever enough. I don’t smile enough. I’m not kind enough. Maybe I’m just not a good enough human being.
I can be pretty hard on myself somedays, especially given none of the above is true.
In fact… I am a pretty wonderful person. I am kind and I care about people. So if you know me you’re probably reading this thinking ‘WHAT!?!’ because on the outside I’m a very ‘together’ person, I am ambitious and happy, but, like most things in like a story is so much more then the cover.
And despite all the happiness there are still some days when that unwelcome little whisper tells me I’m just not good enough.
I’m not the only one am I?
We’ve all been there, we’ve all listen for too long and too attentively to that sad little voice in our heads, the self doubt, the anxiety of ‘what if’.
Low self esteem, there you go, I said it. It’s there and it’s as common as a hipster in a flannel shirt, so why do we still feel ashamed to talk about it?
I blame the British ‘stiff upper lip’ nonsense. We’re scared of coming up inadequate or letting our insecurities be seen because god forbid we aren’t actually perfect. So we bury our heads in the sand and we paint on smiles instead of accepting our problems and working to find a solution.
But I say let’s STOP. Let’s not spend a second longer doubting our awesomeness. We are amazing and it’s a new year, a perfect time to give ourselves a big hug and take back control. Here’s my top self-esteem boosting tips, because you ARE a super star, go ahead an whisper that to yourself!
- Get out there! Don’t just stay at home, playing out your life, pondering all the things that could go wrong. Get dressed and push yourself out there, a good friend once told me ‘If we don’t go, we can never know.’ Exactly.
- Meditation: Like it or not, meditation and just being still is a great way to clear the fog that self-doubt and negative thoughts bring, allowing you to see more clearly. It always works for me.
- Think Positive: It’s all about the mindset. Tell yourself something enough times and you will believe it, this works with both positive and negative thoughts. I find affirmations help me a lot, telling myself I am loved, I am a good person that has a wonderful family supporting me. Try writing a list of 10 positive affirmations and repeat them each day. Read my own affirmations to give you a little inspiration.
- Chakra Healing: My wonderful par gave me a great book ‘The Book Of Chakra Healing’ by Liz Simpson. I’m finding myself more and more draw to this kind of life choice, because it just seems to work, it keeps me calm and helps me to find a balance. If you’re unfamiliar with ‘Chakras’ do look into it, I’d try and explain it, but I wouldn’t do it justice, read more here, you won’t be sorry you did.
- Do what you love and do it more often: So many times I’ve seen people feeling so low, with no confidence and I look at their life and think ‘no wonder!’. Because they don’t seem to love themselves. If you don’t truly love yourself your world will just crumble. We must make time for ourselves, be it time for eating truffles in the bath or reading novels in bed, we MUST put ourselves first, at least a little of the time.