But luckily I grew up (don’t worry, not that much), I realised it was all a big pile of pretentious HOO-HA.
I mean, think about it, fashion trends come and go so fast, that you could be perfectly fashionable at breakfast only to be a total fashion faux par by lunchtime. How can anyone keep up with that?
But also, why on earth would you want to, because if you really look at fashion it’s pretty DAM RIDICULOUS, let’s be honest. The shapes that cut all which ways, the styles that sag too much here and pinch too much there, the patterns that make us dizzy, the colours that make us pasty, I just don’t get it.
And it’s ironic, because I remember as a kid in school everyone loathed wearing school uniform and hated looking the same as everyone else. So when we grew up, we strove to be unique and individual in our style, and so we followed trends that told us they were ‘quirky’ or ‘off-beat. But then we all ended up looking the same because…
And if we look back through fashion’s history WHO do we admire, who do idolise? The conformists? The people in uniform? NO! We admire men and women who pushed the boundaries of what was accepted, who made a stand, who invented something new. CoCo Chanel for example, in a time when everyone was all feathers and ruffles, she tore down the gaudy facade and intrigued the world with her simplicity, her elegance, the likes of which had never been seen. All of these iconic fashion figures stood for more than just ‘trends’ they were TIMELESS they were UNIQUE.
So do WE really want to be told what to wear? Excuse me, but I take orders from nobody, I’m not a ‘off the rack’ kinda gal and I’m betting you aren’t either.
I believe in MY style. The kind of style that everyone can afford and that we can all make our own.
So here goes… 5 Tips to take back the GODDESS within:
- OWN IT: Be the girl who wears sunshine. Even the most stunning girl in the most gorgeous dress isn’t going anywhere without that LIGHT that sparkle. That sparkle is something us amazing people have and can flip out at any moment, we got the power! So always remember a smile and some sass are the best accessories a girl can have.
- COLOUR: For some reason vibrant colours seem banned in the winter months, which actually makes me wear even more colour than usual, just out of pure rebellion. I mean since when did black suit everyone? I know it’s a sliming colour but actually black washes most people out. And it’s a fact that colour is a mood enhancer, just think about that. So, experiment, find the shades that suit you best and you’ll be amazed at how great you look.
- OLD IS THE NEW NEW: It’s lovely to treat yourself to a few key pieces now and then but when I’m trying to pull in the purse strings I find eBay and charity shops have some wonderful stuff, quality brands and quirky pieces that you just wouldn’t find on the high street. Also remember that not all designer brands are quality, sometimes you’re just paying for the pretentious label.
- COMFORT: From the crazy that designed stiletto heels to the madman that came up with drainpipe jeans, these people are not of this world and have clearly never seen a human body. We must remember that comfort= happiness. And comfort doesn’t mean Bridget Jones pants and sloppy joe hoodies, being comfortable is about understanding your body’s shape and wearing clothes and shoes that make YOU feel amazing, not suffocated, not pained because that’s are never a good look!
- TRENDS: Finally, always remember TRENDS are a marketing tool designed to help you spend your hard earned money. Most of them won’t actually suit our bodies or make us feel good about ourselves. Remember that.
So here’s to us feeling wonderful about ourselves, to opening up our style possibilities and being free of the fashion restraints. May your style goddess run wild!
UPDATE: By popular demand ‘Dress Yourself In Sunshine’ is now available in Print form! Click here.